Does this lasagna scream fall or what?! And you won’t feel too guilty eating it, considering it’s packed with veggies–butternut squash, zucchini, and spinach. :-)
ground turkey lasagna w. butternut squash, zucchini & spinach
- Ground turkey recipe:
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 32 oz. ground turkey
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1½ tsp. Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Ricotta mixture recipe:
- 1 (15 oz.) container fat-free ricotta
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Lasagna recipe:
- 1 butternut squash, roasted then scooped
- 1 (6 oz.) package fresh spinach
- 1 (8 oz.) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 zucchini, very thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat; add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Break the turkey into small pieces into the skillet; cook and stir until completely browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, basil, Mrs. Dash, salt and pepper, and ¼ cup parsley into the turkey mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reaches a desired consistency, 1 hour to 1½ hours.
- Cut butternut squash in half, then scoop out the seeds; discard. Spray the inside of both squash with cooking spray, then place cut-side up on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast squash until very tender when pierced with a knife, about 45-50 minutes. Once done, remove and let cool slightly.
- In a small skillet, cook and stir the spinach over medium-low heat until wilted, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Stir the ricotta cheese, egg, 2 tbsp. parsley, salt, pepper, and ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
- Pour 1½ cups of the sauce into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Arrange 3 of the lasagna noodles in a layer over the sauce and one noodle sideways in the space at the top. Spread 1 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles. Using a cookie scoop, spoon about half of the butternut squash over the ricotta cheese mixture. Layer about half the wilted spinach over the butternut squash. Lay about half the zucchini slices over the spinach in a layer. Repeat the layering. Top with the 3 remaining lasagna noodles. Spread any remaining ricotta cheese mixture over the top of the lasagna. Finish by topping with any remaining sauce mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella over the top of the lasagna. Return to oven and bake uncovered until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes more. Remove from oven and serve.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.