home sweet home. [scalloped potatoes & ham]
Scalloped potatoes and ham always reminds me of my grandma. Although she doesn’t make it anymore, my mom and I made sure to learn the recipe; however, we adapted it by using Jarlsberg and gouda cheese, instead of my grandma’s favorite, Velveeta. :-) This hearty, comforting casserole is the perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving feast tomorrow (maybe minus the ham)!
scalloped potatoes & ham
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 4 tbsp. flour
- ½ cup half & half
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ½ cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- ½ cup shredded hard gouda
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3-4 small russet potatoes, very thinly sliced, or sliced using a mandoline
- ¾ cup diced ham
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Once melted, add 4 tbsp. flour and whisk quickly to incorporate. After 30 seconds, add half & half and milk; stir. Whisk constantly, until mixture thickens. Once thick, add cheese and whisk together. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small skillet, melt 1 tbsp. butter then add diced onion. Cook until translucent and aromatic, about 3-4 minutes.
- Thinly slice potatoes using a knife or madoline, then add slices to a large bowl of water. Soak potatoes 5-10 minutes, then drain and dab slices dry.
- In the bottom of a small casserole dish, make one layer of potato slices. Next, sprinkle diced onion on top, followed by ham slices; spoon a layer of cheese sauce on top of ham. Repeat process three times.
- Cover dish with foil then place in oven. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove foil and place dish under the broiler to brown the top. Remove from oven then serve.
2 thoughts on “home sweet home. [scalloped potatoes & ham]”
I’m ‘pinning’ this for sure!! I have a recipe similar to this BUT I think I’m going to like your recipe better. In fact, I might just prepare two of them in a few weeks when my son and his family come up from Philly – and I have the whole family over for dinner. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
That’s a great idea, and that sounds like it’ll be a wonderful time with family. Let me know what you think! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving as well! xx
Comments are closed.