won’t miss a thing. [four-cheese spaghetti squash mac & cheese]
I love indulging in a big bowl of classic mac and cheese. I’m even a sucker for Kraft blue box macaroni. This spaghetti squash mac and cheese is a healthier alternative (but equally delicious) and trust me, you won’t miss the pasta!
four-cheese spaghetti squash mac & cheese
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Canola oil spray
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1¼ cup fat-free milk
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Monterrey jack cheese
- ½ cup Swiss cheese, plus more to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes, plus more if desired
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half, then scoop out the seeds; discard. Spray the inside of both squash with cooking spray, then place cut-side up on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
- Roast squash until tender when pierced with a knife, about 45-50 minutes.
- Remove squash from the oven and let cool about 10 minutes. Once it has cooled down, scrape the flesh into a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat; add flour and whisk constantly for about 30 seconds. Add the milk and whisk together.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add the four cheeses, one at a time, making sure to incorporate the cheese completely before the next addition.
- Add the spaghetti squash to the cheese mixture and mix. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Serve; garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.