labor of love. [buttermilk-baked chicken sandwich w. apple, onion & bacon slaw, fried green tomato, green goddess dressing & cheddar]
Soooo, this chicken sandwich took me three hours to make, but it was completely worth it–I swear! The sandwich and all of its components were delicious. I just hope you’re not afraid of getting a little messy, because you’re bound to end up with slaw on your hands and dressing on your face!
buttermilk-baked chicken sandwich w. apple, onion & bacon slaw, fried green tomato, green goddess dressing & cheddar
- Slaw/Onion-bacon vinaigrette recipe:
- ¾ small head Napa cabbage (approx. 4 cups), thinly sliced
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cored and diced small
- 2 tbsp. agave nectar
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Green goddess dressing recipe:
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tbsp. capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Buttermilk-baked chicken recipe:
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. Tobasco
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- Fried green tomatoes recipe:
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Tobasco
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 large unripe green tomatoes (heirloom work as well), cut into ½-inch thick slices, ends removed
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- Sandwich recipe:
- Onion-bacon slaw
- Green goddess dressing
- 4 kaiser rolls, toasted
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 recipe fried green tomatoes (8 slices)
- Buttermilk baked chicken
- For the onion-bacon vinaigrette: In a mixing bowl, combine the bacon, onion, apple, honey, parsley, vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Gently blend with a whisk. Pour in the oil all at once and lightly whisk until the ingredients just come together. Pour vinaigrette into a jar and shake just before use. Keep leftover vinaigrette in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- For the slaw: Cut the cabbage in half and cut away the core, then thinly slice the cabbage wedges crosswise into shreds. Rinse the cabbage in a colander and allow to drain thoroughly. Put the cabbage in a mixing bowl. Pour in the onion-bacon vinaigrette and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the green goddess dressing: In a blender, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, chives, capers, garlic, lemon juice and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Blend on high speed for about 1 minute until smooth. Pour the vinaigrette into a covered jar and refrigerate for up to one week.
- For the buttermilk-baked chicken: In a large mixing bowl, whisk the buttermilk, mustard, hot sauce, paprika, salt, onion and garlic together to combine. Put the chicken in a plastic storage bag, add the buttermilk mixture, and move the chicken around to thoroughly coat in the marinade. Seal the bag and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours, or up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, wiping off any excess buttermilk, and discard. Season both sides of the chicken breasts lightly with salt and pepper. Spread the panko bread crumbs out on a flat surface. Press the chicken breasts into the bread crumbs to completely coat all sides, shaking off the excess.
- Put a cast-iron skillet or ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, then coat the pan with 2 tbsp. canola oil. Once the oil is hot, lay the chicken in the pan (may have to do this in batches). Sear for 3 minutes on each side. Nestle the seared chicken breasts side by side in the skillet. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake chicken for roughly 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through and crust is golden.
- For the fried green tomatoes: In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mustard, hot sauce, paprika, salt and pepper. Put the cornmeal in a separate bowl. Dip the tomatoes in the spicy buttermilk, then dredge in the cornmeal, coating both sides well.
- Place a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is hot, panfry the tomatoes, working in batches if necessary, until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Carefully remove the tomatoes to a paper towel-lined plate.
- For sandwich assembly: Spread 1 tbsp. of green goddess dressing on the top and bottom halves of the rolls. Place one slice of cheese on the bottom roll, followed by a pice of the chicken, slaw, 2 slices of fried green tomatoes, another piece of cheese, then place the other half of the roll on top.