muy delicioso. [shredded chicken enchiladas in red sauce w. bell peppers]
Happy Friday! It’s been a crazy, busy week, so I’m looking forward to a relaxing weekend. If you haven’t already gathered, I’m addicted to eating and making Mexican food, and this enchilada recipe is definitely one of my favorites!
shredded chicken enchiladas in red sauce w. bell peppers
- Red sauce recipe:
- 1 chipotle pepper and 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2½ Tbsp. chili powder
- ¾ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Enchilada recipe:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, poached then shredded
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup black beans, rinsed
- 2-3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup enchilada sauce (recipe above)
- ¼ cup sour cream, plus more for garnish
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- For the sauce:
- Combine the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and ½ cup of the chicken stock in a blender. Blend until the chipotle pepper completely blends.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute, making sure the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Add the tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, dried oregano, onion powder, salt and pepper. Continue to whisk, then add the chipotle pepper mixture.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken, add in the chicken stock ½ cup at a time. When the sauce is just thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, remove from heat.
- For the enchiladas:
- Heat a large pot of water or chicken broth over high heat; once hot, add chicken and cook until done, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from pot, then once cool enough to handle, shred chicken.
- Pour 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Once hot, add bell pepper slices and cook until lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, then add black beans, shredded chicken and chopped cilantro and mix. Next, add ½ cup enchilada sauce and ¼ cup sour cream; stir together.
- For assembly:
- Pour a large spoonful of the remaining red sauce in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and coat the bottom.
- Place corn tortillas on a microwave-safe plate and microwave 20-30 seconds, until soft. Working one at a time, dip both sides of a corn tortilla in the remaining red sauce. Place sauce-coated tortilla on a cutting board, then place a small portion of the chicken mixture in the middle; top with 1 Tbsp. shredded cheese. Carefully and tightly roll tortilla (making sure not to rip the tortilla), then place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas, then sprinkle ½ cup of shredded cheese on top.
- Place enchiladas in the oven and cook about 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Garnish enchiladas with sour cream, fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
Enchilada sauce recipe adapted from Little Spice Jar.
One thought on “muy delicioso. [shredded chicken enchiladas in red sauce w. bell peppers]”
This looks fabulous! Can’t wait to try!
Comments are closed.