current obsession. [chicken tikka masala]
Over the years, I have become obsessed with Indian food – particularly chicken tikka masala, butter chicken, palak paneer, naan bread, you name it. I’ve been making this recipe from Bon Appetit for years and haven’t felt the need to create my own or find a new recipe because this one is just SO.GOOD. It’s beyond flavorful with just the right amount of spice. Serve alongside some buttery naan and you’re set!
chicken tikka masala
- 6 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1½ cups whole-milk yogurt
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp. cayenne, plus more to reach desired spiciness
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Steamed basmati rice, for serving
- Combine garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander and cumin in a small bowl. Whisk yogurt, salt and half of the spice mixture in a medium bowl; add chicken and turn to coat both sides. Cover and chill 1-2 hours; cover and chill remaining spice mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, tomato paste, cardamom, and cayenne and cook, stirring often, until tomato paste has darkened and onion is soft, 5-7 minutes. Add remaining half of spice mixture and cook, stirring often, until bottom of pot begins to brown, 4-6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices, crushing them with your hands as you add them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot, until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add cream and chopped cilantro. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack inside sheet. Arrange chicken on rack in a single layer. Broil until chicken starts to blacken in spots (it will not be cooked through), about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven, then cut into bite-size pieces. Add chicken pieces to the sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 10-15 minutes. Season sauce with additional salt, to taste. Serve with rice and cilantro sprigs.
Recipe from Bon Appetit.