you name it. [instant pot chicken carnitas]
Carnitas are my absolute favorite. I order the meat at basically every Mexican restaurant, but when I want to make homemade carnitas, I don’t always have pork shoulder on hand (does anyone?). That’s where these chicken carnitas come in, as I almost always have chicken in the fridge or freezer. The meat is packed with flavor, super moist and perfectly crispy after a few minutes under the broiler. Add the chicken carnitas to tacos, a salad, a burrito bowl – you name it. SO delicious!
instant pot chicken carnitas
- 1-2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 yellow onion (roughly 3 heaping cups), sliced
- 5-6 cloves garlic (1 Tbsp.), crushed
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 2 lbs.)
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode on high heat. Once heated, add vegetable or canola oil to the pot and heat another 30 seconds.
- Add onion and sauté 3-5 minutes, until translucent and aromatic. Stir in the garlic and cook another 20-30 seconds.
- Deglaze the pot with the chicken broth, lime juice, orange juice and chipotle pepper, stirring everything together. Simmer mixture another 2-4 minutes.
- Turn the sauté function off, then add chicken breasts and top with cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Mix everything together to incorporate and make sure chicken is coated.
- Add the lid to the Instant Pot and pressure cook on high for 15-17 minutes, followed by a quick release.
- Remove the lid of the Instant Pot, then transfer the chicken pieces to a cutting board to roughly shred, then add meat back to the pot with the juices.
- Preheat the broiler to high, then spread desired amount of chicken carnitas with juices onto a baking sheet. Broil 5-7 minutes, or until the meat becomes brown and crispy. Remove from oven.
- Serve immediately in tacos, salads or burrito bowls.