a little less guilt. [crispy air fryer chicken taquitos]
I don’t know about you, but I could 100% eat taquitos every day. Obviously that would be a terrible idea for many health reasons, but at least these taquitos come with a little less guilt since they’re not deep fried. The air fryer wins again! These taquitos were beyond crispy and out-of-this-world in the flavor department.
crispy air fryer chicken taquitos
- Mexican chicken recipe:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup red or yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and deveined (approx. ¼ cup)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed (approx. 1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1¼ tsp. salt, plus more or less to taste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 1½ lbs.)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped, plus additional for garnish
- Taquito recipe:
- Shredded Mexican chicken (recipe above)
- Corn tortillas, approximately 14-16
- Olive oil spray or avocado oil spray
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce, for garnish
- Crumbled cotija cheese, for garnish
- Diced tomatoes, for garnish
- For the shredded Mexican chicken:
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat, then add olive oil. Once hot, add onion and jalapeño and cook until onion is translucent and aromatic, roughly 3-5 minutes. Add crushed garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring everything together.
- Next, add chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper. Toast spices, stirring frequently, approximately 2-4 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth then add chicken breasts and poach until cooked through or interior reaches 165 degrees, roughly 20-25 minutes. Once chicken is cooked through, remove from the broth and transfer to a cutting board.
- While waiting for the chicken to cool down, bring the chicken broth mixture to a boil and reduce 10-15 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred and then place back into the pot with the broth mixture. Add cilantro then stir everything together.
- Lower heat to medium low and cook until broth is reduced to about 1 cup, roughly another 15-20 minutes, stirring chicken occasionally. Remove from heat.
- For the taquitos:
- Working in batches, assemble the taquitos (I made 4 taquitos at a time since I have the Instant Pot air fryer lid, which is a bit smaller).
- Place 4 corn tortillas on a plate covered with a damp paper towel and microwave 20-30 seconds, flipping halfway through, until soft and pliable. Transfer tortillas to a cutting board or flat surface.
- Place 2-3 Tbsp. of the shredded chicken down the middle of each corn tortilla then gently and tightly roll into taquitos.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees, then lightly coat the basket with a bit of olive oil or avocado oil spray. Gently place 4 taquitos seam side down in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not touching, then mist with olive oil or avocado oil.
- Cook until golden brown and crispy, roughly 7-8 minutes, turning halfway through. If taquitos are not to your desired crispness, air fry another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove taquitos from the air fryer and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining tortillas until the chicken is gone.
- For assembly:
- Stack the taquitos on a platter, then garnish with sour cream, shredded lettuce, cotija cheese, diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro.