sweet & savory. [smashed blackberry & whipped goat cheese crostini]
If you like fruit and cheese or if you like a sweet and savory combo, this one’s for you! The first bite was delicious and all, but when I got to the bite with the mint…mind blown! I honestly wouldn’t even consider myself a huge mint fan, but it worked perfectly with all the flavors on this crostini. These would make for a delicious and beautiful appetizer at any dinner party!
smashed blackberry & whipped goat cheese crostini
- Smashed blackberry sauce recipe:
- ¾ cup (heaping) fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup (heaping) fresh blueberries
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1½ Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Whipped goat cheese recipe:
- 5 oz. goat cheese
- 1 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Crostini recipe:
- 10 slices french baguette (approx. ½ of an 11.5 oz. baguette)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- Black pepper
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- Honey, if desired, for garnish
- For the smashed blackberry sauce:
- In a small saucepan, combine the blackberries, blueberries, vanilla, sugar and water. Heat over medium-low heat, then cover with a lid.
- Once simmering and the fruit begins to burst, approximately 8-10 minutes, gently mash fruit with a fork (not completely mashing the fruit), then whisk in the cornstarch to mix everything together.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, cover with a lid and set aside until ready to use. Let sauce cool a bit before topping the crostini.
- For the whipped goat cheese:
- Add goat cheese, cream cheese and salt to the bowl of a small food processor. Pulse several times to soften any chunks, then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add olive oil and blend until cheese is creamy and smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Set aside.
- For the crostini:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place baguette slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and garlic. Brush garlic olive oil on each crostini (you won't use all of the oil). Sprinkle each crostini with a little salt and black pepper.
- Bake the crostini for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown and toasted. Keep an eye on the crostini throughout the cooking process, as some ovens are hotter than others.
- Once toasted, remove the crostini from the oven.
- For assembly:
- Top each crostini piece with a heaping spoonful of whipped goat cheese, then spoon over desired amount of the smashed blackberry sauce. Garnish with fresh mint. If desired, add a drizzle of honey on top. Serve.
Smashed blackberry sauce adapted from Wry Toast.