berry kick. [lemon mousse with fresh berries]
I’ve been on a big berry kick this summer…I just can’t get enough! I had some homemade lemon curd in the freezer from my mom that I’d been meaning to use, which is why this extremely easy dessert came to life. It’s layered with lemon curd, lemon mousse and homemade whipped ream (which I over-whipped and the perfectionist in me is cringing), then topped with fresh berries. So, so easy and delicious!
lemon mousse with fresh berries
- Lemon curd recipe:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest, plus ⅔ cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 large egg yolks (egg whites reserved for another use)
- ¼ tsp. coarse salt
- 1¼ sticks unsalted butter (10 Tbsp.), cut into ½-inch pieces
- Lemon mousse recipe:
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup lemon curd
- Fresh strawberries, for garnish
- Fresh blueberries, for garnish
- Fresh blackberries, for garnish
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- For the lemon curd:
- In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk together sugar, lemon zest, and egg yolks. Next, whisk in lemon juice and salt.
- Add butter and place pan over medium-high. Cook, whisking constantly, until butter is melted and mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, and small bubbles form around the edge of pan, about 5 minutes (do not boil).
- Remove pan from heat while continuing to whisk. Pour curd through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass bowl. Press plastic wrap against the surface of curd and refrigerate until cool.
- For the lemon mousse:
- Into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk on medium-high speed just until stiff peaks start to form.
- Set 1 cup whipped cream aside, then into the bowl of the stand mixer with the remaining whipped cream, gently fold in ¾ cup of the lemon curd until thoroughly incorporated (making sure not to over-mix). Place lemon mousse in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- For assembly:
- Evenly divide the remaining lemon curd (roughly 1¼ cups) between desired amount of clear glasses or jars. Top the lemon curd with even portions of the lemon mousse, then distribute the remaining homemade whipped cream on top.
- Garnish with desired amount of fresh strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, followed by a dusting of powdered sugar. Serve cold or chilled.
Lemon curd recipe from Martha Stewart.