summer sips. [blackberry jalapeño margarita]
I don’t know what it is, but I’ve been on a cocktail kick lately (I’m typically more of a wine gal). It’s most likely because it’s been sweltering hot and there’s nothing a refreshing cocktail can’t fix. This margarita definitely hit the spot the other night and was the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. These would be a great addition to your Taco Tuesday!
blackberry jalapeño margarita
- Blackberry jalapeño margarita recipe:
- 3 oz. tequila blanco
- 1 oz. Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 3 oz. fresh lime juice
- ½ cup blackberry jalapeño syrup (recipe below)
- Fresh blackberries, for garnish
- Lime slices, for garnish, plus additional to rim the glass
- White sugar, for the rim of the glass
- Blackberry jalapeño syrup recipe:
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup fresh blackberries
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, deveined and diced (if you don't love spice, use half of a jalapeño)
- For the simple syrup:
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together until sugar is dissolved, about 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat then pour into a mason jar or glass jar with the lid off. Let cool, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- For the blackberry jalapeño syrup:
- Once cool enough, transfer the simple syrup to a small food processor or blender, then add the fresh blackberries and diced jalapeño. Pulse or blend until smooth.
- Place a fine mesh sieve/strainer over a glass bowl, then pour the simple syrup mixture into the sieve. Using a spatula, press down until all of the liquid is removed.
- For the margaritas:
- When ready to prepare the margaritas, rim 2 short glasses with lime juice then dip both into a dish filled with white sugar. Add 4-5 ice cubes per glass.
- Next, fill a cocktail shaker with the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, approximately ½ cup of the blackberry jalapeño syrup and 6-8 ice cubes.
- Shake vigorously then strain the margaritas into the prepared glasses.
- Garnish with lime slice and fresh blackberries, then serve.