let the beet drop. [beet salad w. goat cheese, pistachios & orange vinaigrette]
For those non-cheat days when you just need some veggies but don’t want boring old broccoli, whip up this delicious and beautiful beet dish. The beets on their own taste fantastic, but even better when topped with the creamy goat cheese crumbles, crunchy pistachios and tangy orange vinaigrette. Super easy to make and easy on the eyes, too!
beet salad w. goat cheese, pistachios & orange vinaigrette
- Dressing recipe:
- 1½ tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp. orange juice
- ½ tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1½ tsp. honey
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. salt, or more to taste
- Pinch of ground pepper, or more to taste
- Beet salad recipe:
- 2 red beets, roasted and cut into 2-inch squares
- 2 golden beets, roasted and cut into 2-inch squares
- 2 oz. crumbled goat cheese, for garnish
- 2 tbsp. shelled pistachios, for garnish
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- For the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper until blended.
- For the beets:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove leafy tops from the beets, then scrub the beats thoroughly. Wrap each individual beat loosely in foil.
- Place the wrapped beets on a rimmed baking sheet then roast for 50-60 minutes. Check the beets after 20-30 minutes to make sure they are not drying out. The beets are done when a fork pokes easily through the center.
- Remove the beets from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle. Hold one of the beets in a paper towel and use the edges of the paper towel to rub the skin away. The skin should peel away easily; if it doesn't, the beets most likely need to cook a bit longer. Peel the remaining beets. (If you are not using the beets right away, do not store the red and golden beets together, as the colors will bleed into each other!)
- Next, cut the beets into ¼-inch slices, then cut each slice into 2-inch squares. Repeat with remaining beets, using the first as a template.
- Arrange the beets in a checkerboard pattern on a platter then drizzle orange vinaigrette on top. Garnish with crumbled goat cheese, pistachios and fresh mint.