Chili is one of my favorite meals to cook – not only because it’s delicious, but also because it makes enough to have leftovers the remainder of the week. This turkey chili is hearty, full of flavor and will have you craving seconds every time.
turkey & veggie chili
- Olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3-4 stalks celery, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder, plus more or less, to taste
- 1½ tsp. paprika, plus more or less, to taste
- 1 tbsp. cumin, plus more or less, to taste
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne
- 5-6 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans
- 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for topping, if desired
- Sour cream, for topping, if desired
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then drizzle olive oil in the pan. Once hot, add the turkey and cook until browned and cooked through, breaking up the turkey as it cooks. Remove ground turkey from the skillet and transfer to a bowl; keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add the bell pepper, onion, celery and garlic. Sauté the vegetables 3-5 minutes, until softened. Next, add the chili powder, paprika, cumin and cayenne and simmer another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, bay leaf, black beans and kidney beans. Return the ground turkey to the pan. Bring chili to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes.
- Serve chili hot and top with shredded cheese and sour cream, if desired.