wingin’ it. [creamy potato salad]
Some of my favorite days are spent in the kitchen cooking with my mom. Last year, we were preparing for a summer picnic and tasked with making a potato salad to accompany the rest of the BBQ food. After scouring the Internet for recipes, we finally decided to wing it and make up our own. This recipe is the result of that and it’s been a staple in our family ever since. I recently brought this potato salad to a 4th of July BBQ where it was a hit. Luckily, I made way too much, so we had tons of leftovers!
creamy potato salad
- 4 lbs. small red skinned potatoes, quartered
- 4 hard boiled eggs, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 5-6 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 cups mayonnaise, plus more to taste
- 4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb seasoning
- ½ package Hidden Valley Buttermilk Recipe Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- 3 tsp. dry mustard, or to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp. French's yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add red skinned potatoes. Cook until slightly tender, about 10-15 minutes. Once done, strain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Place bowl in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to chill potatoes, or bring to room temp.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, Mrs. Dash, Hidden Valley seasoning, dry mustard and yellow mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- If chilling potatoes, remove from fridge. If some of the potato wedges are too large, cut into smaller pieces. Add diced hard boiled eggs, red onion and celery to the bowl with potatoes.
- Add half of the dressing to the bowl and cover all potatoes. Add additional dressing as needed.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Chill potato salad until ready to serve.