time to relax. [chicken tortilla soup topped w. avocado & homemade crispy tortilla strips]
I can’t believe Christmas is only a few days away. Fortunately, I only have to buy one more present, and already wrapped all of my other gifts–that’s a first for me! Considering the past few months have been extremely busy, I’m really looking forward to relaxing at home with family for the next couple weeks. :-)
chicken tortilla soup w. homemade crispy tortilla strips
- 3-4 tbsp. vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, poached then shredded
- 2 jalapenos, seeded, de-veined and finely diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, diced, with juices
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. cumin, plus more to taste
- 2½ tsp. chili powder, plus more to taste
- A few dashes of cayenne (optional)
- 1½ - 2 tbsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1½ - 2 tbsp. pepper, plus more to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2-4 tbsp. cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, plus additional for garnish
- Avocado, diced, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into ½-inch strips
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then poach chicken for about 15 to 20 minutes, until cooked through. Remove chicken from pot; once cool enough to handle, shred the chicken.
- While chicken is cooking, heat vegetable oil in a separate large pot over medium heat, then add diced onion and garlic; cook until translucent and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Add the diced jalapeno and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth, tomatoes (with juices) and black beans into pot and bring to a boil. Once mixture reaches a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and add shredded chicken. Season with cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt and pepper, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Next, add lime juice and chopped cilantro to pot and mix. Stir in ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese and quickly incorporate, to avoid cheese clumping together. Let soup simmer another 15 minutes, to blend flavors.
- For the crispy tortilla strips: Stack corn tortillas and cut the pile into six strips. Heat vegetable oil in small skillet (fill oil about ¼ way up the side of the skillet); once hot, add 5-6 tortilla strips at a time and cook until golden on both sides, about 20-30 seconds total. Remove from pan and place crispy strips on paper towel-lined plate. Season tortilla strips with salt.
- For serving: Pour tortilla soup in a bowl, then garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, diced avocado and crispy tortilla strips.
One thought on “time to relax. [chicken tortilla soup topped w. avocado & homemade crispy tortilla strips]”
We love chicken tortilla soup, and your version looks delicious! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
Comments are closed.