a good find. [parmesan & spinach orzo]
Happy Thursday! I came across this recipe for Parmesan and spinach orzo on Chung-Ah’s blog over at Damn Delicious, and knew I had to make it. The creamy pasta was full of flavor and the perfect side dish. Luckily, the recipe made a lot of leftovers, so I was able to bring the orzo for lunch all week. :)
parmesan & spinach orzo
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook orzo according to package instructions, about 9 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until aromatic and translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Stir in Parmesan until melted, about 1 minute. Add orzo to saucepan and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious.