reduced guilt. [black bean & quinoa veggie burger w. southwestern yogurt sauce]
Whoa, two posts in one week? Can’t remember the last time I did that. This week was a little less crazy with work and whatnot, so I took advantage and got to cooking.
After seeing a photo of these veggie burgers online the other day, I had to make them. I’m so glad that I did because they were absolutely delicious, and I will definitely be making them again soon.
black bean & quinoa veggie burger w. southwestern yogurt sauce
Makes 6 burgers
- ½ cup Trader Joe's tricolor quinoa
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. salt, divided
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 large egg
- ⅔ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ cup quick oats
- ¼ cup flour
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Lettuce, for topping
- Tomatoes, for topping
- 1-2 avocados, thinly sliced, for topping
- Yogurt sauce recipe:
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. (or less) cayenne
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ tsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, then cover and cook 10-12 minutes, until all water absorbs. Once cooked, remove from heat and cool.
- Warm a medium skillet over medium heat, then add olive oil. Once hot, add onion, garlic and ¼ tsp. salt, and cook until translucent and aromatic, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat then transfer onion and garlic to a large bowl. Add black beans. Using a potato masher or fork, mash until a pastry mixture forms.
- Next, stir in the tomato paste, egg, corn, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and remaining ¼ tsp. salt. Stir in the quinoa, oats and flour until well mixed.
- Form the mixture into 6 equal patties, compacting them well with your hands as you form them. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, then place the patties on the sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- When ready to cook, place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes total; 10 minutes on one side, then carefully flip over and cook for another 10 minutes, until patties are golden brown and crispy.
- For the yogurt sauce: In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Refrigerate.
- Serve patties on toasted whole wheat buns then top with lettuce, tomato, avocado slices and yogurt sauce.
Recipe adapted from The Foodie Physician.