If this just isn’t your week and you’re in need of a hearty, comforting meal, I suggest making this delicious broccoli cheese soup! It’s packed with flavor and is kind of healthy, since there’s broccoli in the recipe, right? :-)
broccoli cheese soup
- 2 crowns of broccoli, cut into 1-inch florets
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth, plus additional if soup is too thick
- ½ cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 4-6 tbsp. flour
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 cups milk (1% or 2%)
- ¼ cup shredded Gouda cheese
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus additional for garnish
- ¼ cup shredded or grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup shredded Jarlsberg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Warm a large pot over high heat, then add broccoli, onions and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then simmer about 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter and add flour to create a roué. Add milk and heat until it bubbles and thickens.
- Next, add the cheeses one at a time, mixing after each addition, making sure all of it melts.
- Add the cheese mixture to the broth and broccoli; add additional chicken broth if soup is too thick. Season with salt and pepper.