These shrimp bites are incredibly delicious, impressive and beautiful. Talk about a triple threat!
caribbean shrimp bites
- Adobo chili pepper seasoning, to taste
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup packed fresh cilantro, finely chopped, divided
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and de-veined, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, diced into small pieces
- 2 plantains
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, bring 2 cups water to a boil; season with adobo seasoning. Add shrimp. Remove pot from heat; cover tightly. Set pot aside until shrimp are pink, about 3 minutes. Drain shrimp and rinse under cold water until cool; set aside.
- In large Ziploc bag, combine lemon juice, olive oil, 2 tbsp. cilantro, onions and jalapeño; season with adobo.
- Submerge shrimp in lemon mixture, then seal bag and transfer to the refrigerator. Chill until shrimp absorbs flavor of marinade, at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- To fry the plantains, head oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Peel the plantains and slice into thin pieces (at an angle).
- Fry the plantain pieces until browned and tender. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- To serve, remove shrimp from marinade, reserving ¼ cup marinade. Arranged cooked plantains on serving platter. Evenly divide shrimp among plantains; drizzle with reserved marinade. Sprinkle shrimp bites with avocado and remaining cilantro.
Shrimp bites recipe from Goya.