it’s poppin’. [jalapeño poppers w. maple sausage & cream cheese]
In my opinion, jalapeño poppers are one of the most delicious (and easiest) appetizers – particularly on game day. These maple sausage and cream cheese poppers come together in less than 30 minutes and are always a crowd pleaser. This recipe is just for two people (hello, quarantine), so I’d recommend doubling or tripling the recipe if you’re serving a small group. These would be perfect for Super Bowl Sunday!
jalapeño poppers with maple sausage & cream cheese
- 3 jalapeño peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, seeded and deveined
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. Farmer John Maple Pork Links, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup Tillamook shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat, then add sausage. Cook until sausage is cooked through and browned, breaking into small pieces until cooked, about 10 minutes. Drain sausage, then pour crumbled sausage onto paper towel-lined plate to soak up excess oil.
- Slice jalapeños down the middle, lengthwise, leaving the stems on. Remove seeds and veins.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Once sausage has cooled down, blend 2 Tbsp. crumbled sausage with cheeses using a hand mixer.
- Spoon mixture into jalapeño shells, then line them side by side on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Add additional crumbled sausage on top of the peppers.
- Bake peppers for 15 minutes, until tops have browned and cheese is melted. Let cool about five minutes before serving.