chicken & veggie stir fry
- Stir fry recipe:
- Olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion, cut into slices
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 crown of broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled then cut into thin strips
- 1 stalk asparagus, trimmed then cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 can (8 oz.) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Jasmine rice, cooked, for serving
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Green onion, sliced, for garnish
- Sauce recipe:
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 heaping tsp. sesame oil
- 1 heaping tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season both sides of chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then add to the pan. Cook until done, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to the pan, then add onion and garlic. Cook until translucent and aromatic, 2-3 minutes, then add broccoli. Steam broccoli for a few minutes, until al dente. Remove onion and broccoli from pan and transfer to a bowl; set aside.
- Next, add a drizzle more of olive oil to the pan, then add the carrots, asparagus and bell peppers. Cook vegetables until they begin to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken, onion and broccoli back to the pan and mix together. Add the water chestnuts and let cook another 1-2 minutes.
- For the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, chicken broth, sesame oil, rice vinegar, honey and garlic.
- Pour the sauce on top of the stir fry and mix together, so all of the veggies are covered in sauce.
- Remove from heat and serve over jasmine rice. Top stir fry with sesame seeds and sliced green onion.