Happy New Year! Hope everyone had a great one. I’m just getting back into the swing of things, as I had two weeks off work. I spent most of the break at home with my family, then flew up to San Francisco for New Year’s Eve weekend.
Unfortunately, I caught that nasty cold going around, so I’m relying on comfort foods, Emergen-C and lots of rest to get better. Though I’m not fully recovered, this soup definitely helped a bit. Here’s to hoping none of you catch this cold!
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1 lb.) package frozen broccoli florets
- 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1½-2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place broccoli in microwave safe dish, and cook according to package instructions. Microwave broccoli until fork tender.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, then add olive oil. Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent and aromatic, 3-5 minutes. Add flour to pan and quickly stir until flour is cooked and incorporated; add broth, ¼ cup water and half of the broccoli florets.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor and blend about 10-15 seconds. Return mixture to pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 3-5 minutes, to let mixture thicken.
- Decrease heat and add the rest of the broccoli, half and half and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese melts; let soup cook a little longer. Season with salt and pepper. Add crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Top soup with shredded cheese of choice.