game day guac. [guacamole w. cotija cheese]
With football season in full swing, I felt it appropriate to feature my version of a common game day snack–guacamole. Though everyone has his/her own take on the dip, I stand by this simple, yet flavorful recipe. What really amplifies this version is the addition of Cotija cheese crumbled on top. The saltiness of the cheese wonderfully compliments the other ingredients.
Per usual on Saturdays, I spent the day watching college football. Though we’ve had a rough year, I still support my Ohio State Buckeyes just as much as I would any other year. Our win against formerly ranked #16 team Illinois gave us some reason to celebrate in all of this mess.
Like Christina over at Sweet Pea’s Kitchen, who actually went to the OSU game, I grew up in Columbus, OH. Both of my parents attended The Ohio State University, so, I’ve bled scarlet and grey ever since I could walk and talk. Believe it or not, my family has a Buckeye room at our house in South Carolina (the photo doesn’t even do it justice).
- 4 large Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- ½ red onion, finely diced, plus more to taste
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 jalapeño, seeded, deveined and finely chopped
- Cilantro, finely chopped, to taste
- 1 lime, juiced, plus more to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cacique Cotija Cheese, grated, for garnish, if desired
- Add scooped avocado to a large bowl. Using a fork, mash avocado. Fold in onions, garlic, tomatoes and jalapeño. Add lime juice, plus more to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish guacamole with grated Cotija cheese, if desired.