Ever since my last attempt at baked macaroni and cheese, I’ve wanted to give the dish another go. Though I was satisfied with the result, I knew I could do better. I was finally inspired to create a different recipe after tasting the white truffle oil and mushroom mac & cheese from Taste on Melrose (aka the best macaroni and cheese I’ve ever eaten). I had to recreate the pasta.
The conchiglie shells and truffle oil transform the average macaroni and cheese into a gourmet, grown-up dish. The shells guarantee gooey cheese upon every bite and the truffle oil adds a delicious dimension of flavor.
If you’ve gathered from previous posts, truffle oil is my current obsession. So, in my eyes, there’s no way this dish wouldn’t be a hit–and a hit it was. :)
- Mushroom recipe:
- 4-5 cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 1 tsp. white truffle oil
- Macaroni recipe:
- 26.5 oz. (2 boxes) Barilla Piccolini mini conchiglie shells
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) salted butter
- 7 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half & half
- ½ cup havarti
- 1 cup Jarlsberg
- 1 cup Gruyère
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 tsp. white truffle oil
- 3 tsp. salt, plus more or less to taste
- 1½ tsp. white pepper, plus more or less to taste
- 2 fresh croissants, finely chopped in food processor
- For the mushrooms: Heat a small skillet over medium heat, then add butter. Add diced mushrooms and simmer until softened. Mix in truffle oil. Set mushrooms aside. Strain before adding to cheese sauce.
- For the macaroni: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until slightly aldente, about 5-7 minutes. Strain pasta then return to large pot.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and flour over medium heat until bubbly and thick, but not browned, about 2-3 minutes. Add whipping cream and half & half. Stirring constantly, let mixture thicken, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add four cheeses, salt and pepper, and continue stirring. After sauce is smooth and cheese is melted, stir in wine. Add strained mushrooms.
- Pour cheese sauce into pot of pasta and stir together. Add truffle oil. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Divide pasta between ramekins or pour all into one 2 qt. casserole dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of pasta.
- Bake ramekins or casserole dish 7-10 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.