masterpiece. [buffalo chicken zucchini boats topped w. melted cheddar, goat cheese, bacon & ranch dressing]
I wasn’t sure what to make for dinner the other night, but knew I wanted something with buffalo chicken. I spotted the zucchini at the grocery store and was inspired to make these zucchini boats, which were everything I dreamed of and more. My brother suggested using potato skins instead of zucchini next time (which I’m all about), so keep your eyes peeled for that post! :)
buffalo chicken zucchini boats topped w. melted cheddar, goat cheese, bacon & ranch dressing
- Zucchini boat recipe (makes 8):
- 4 medium zucchini, ends removed, cut in half lengthwise
- 4-5 strips bacon, crumbled
- ½ cup shredded carrots, diced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, poached then shredded
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup Frank's RedHot Original sauce
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Buttermilk ranch dressing, drizzled on top of zucchini boats (recipe below)
- Scallions, diced, for garnish
- Buttermilk ranch dressing recipe:
- 1 Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch packet
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add chicken. Poach until cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. Once cooked, remove from water and set aside. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the chicken.
- Hollow out the zucchini leaving them about ¼-inch thick, reserving and chopping the insides.
- While chicken is cooking, heat a large skillet then add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate; crumble bacon. Reserve 1 tbsp. of bacon grease in the pan. Add the carrots and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Next, add the reserved zucchini and cook until tender, another 3-5 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, corn and hot sauce to the pan and mix; remove from the heat.
- Bring another large pot of water to a boil, then add zucchini halves and boil for 1 minute. Remove zucchini from the water and place in a large, glass baking dish.
- Stuff the zucchini halves with the buffalo chicken mixture, then sprinkle cheddar cheese and goat cheese crumbles on top. Place zucchini in oven and cook until tender and cheese has melted, about 25-30 minutes. Place zucchini under the broiler for 5-7 minutes to brown the cheese a bit, if desired. Remove zucchini from the oven.
- For the ranch dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk all three ingredients together. Chill ranch dressing for at least an hour.
- Once the zucchini boats are cool enough to serve, top zucchini halves with bacon pieces, scallions and drizzle with ranch dressing.