Although we had Monday off for the holiday, this week has already been insanely busy. This Korean beef is the perfect, simple (and of course, delicious) meal to prepare during a hectic week!
korean beef bowl w. bell peppers & water chestnuts
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ - ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ - ¾ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 4 oz. water chestnuts, drained then chopped into small pieces
- 1 bunch green onions, diced, for garnish
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Brown rice, cooked according to package instructions
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then add sesame oil. Once oil is hot, add garlic and ground beef. Cook until meat is done and no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. Drain most of the fat, then add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to the pan; mix. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes, to blend the flavors.
- In a small skillet, add olive oil. Once hot, add diced bell pepper and saute 3-5 minutes. Add bell pepper and diced water chestnuts to beef; mix. Season with additional salt, pepper and crushed red pepper, if necessary. Serve beef on top of white or brown rice, then garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.