something different. [lime angel food cake w. lime glaze & pistachios]
I’ve always been a sucker for angel food cake. The slightly crispy exterior and fluffy interior make for a heavenly combination. But until now, I’d only made the boxed version of the cake. Much to my surprise, my homemade version turned out light and delicious, and the lime glaze and pistachios added the perfect pop of flavor to the otherwise plain cake. This is a must-make!
lime angel food cake w. lime glaze & pistachios
- Cake recipe:
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1½ cups sugar, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 10 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- Lime syrup and lime glaze recipe:
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided
- ½ cup unsalted raw pistachios, finely chopped in food processor
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and place rack in center of oven.
- For the cake: Sift flour, ½ cup sugar and salt into a medium bowl; repeat sifting three times. Using the paddle attachment for a stand mixer, beat egg whites, lime zest and vanilla on medium speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar, then increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, 2 tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of flour mixture over whites and gently fold in until incorporated. Fold in remaining flour mixture in 2 more additions just until incorporated. Transfer to ungreased 10-inch angel food cake pan with 4-inch-high sides and removable bottom; smooth top.
- Bake cake until pale golden and tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Immediately invert cake onto work surface if pan has feet, or invert center tube of pan onto neck of bottle or metal funnel and cool cake completely.
- Using long thin knife, cut around cake sides and center tube to loosen. Lift out center tube with cake still attached; run knife between cake and bottom of pan to loosen. Invert cake onto rack, then turn cake over, rounded side up. Set rack with cake atop rimmed baking sheet.
- For the glaze: Combine sugar and 3 tbsp. lime juice in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Brush syrup all over top and sides of cake. Immediately press pistachios onto top and sides of cake, pressing to adhere.
- Stir powdered sugar with remaining 1 tbsp. lime juice in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze over top of cake. Let stand until glaze sets, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer cake to platter; cut into wedges and serve.
Recipe from Epicurious.