kick it in gear. [slow-cooker Latin chicken w. sweet potatoes, black beans & peas]
Work has been crazy busy this week, as we’re preparing for the American Music Awards. I made this chicken the other night, and it’s been so nice to come home to a hearty and healthy meal after a long day. Luckily, the madness is almost over…only a couple more days!
slow-cooker Latin chicken w. sweet potatoes, black beans & peas
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. ground cumin, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika, divided
- ½ tsp. ground allspice, divided
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Season chicken breasts with ½ tsp. ground cumin, ½ tsp. paprika, a dash of allspice and salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat; once hot, add olive oil. Add chicken breasts to pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate and remove skillet from heat.
- In the same skillet, combine the remaining smoked paprika, cumin, ½ tsp. allspice, chili powder, chicken broth, onions, tomatoes, jalapeno and garlic. Simmer about 5 minutes, until onions soften. Remove from heat.
- In the crock-pot, combine sweet potatoes and black beans. Place chicken on top of potato mixture in crock-pot; pour broth mixture over chicken. Place lid on crock-pot and cook on high for about 3 hours, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve chicken on a plate or in bowl, then spoon potato mixture on top. Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.