feels like home. [chicken divan]
Chicken divan will always remind me of home. My mom made it for my family often growing up, and it’s one of my favorite home-cooked meals. Though the casserole is by no means a healthy dish, it’s unbelievably delicious and comforting. It’ll taste even better once it starts to cool down in LA. Hurry up, fall weather!
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 1½ lb. broccoli florets
- 4 tbsp. butter, plus 2 tbsp. butter for bread crumb topping
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 brick cream cheese
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add chicken breasts and cook on medium-high heat until done, about 20-25 minutes. Once cooked, remove chicken from pot and let cool. Shred chicken and set aside.
- Warm a medium skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and heat about 30 seconds. Pour diced onion into pan and saute until translucent and aromatic, then add broccoli and cook 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat a medium pot over medium heat, then add 4 tbsp. butter and melt. Add flour and start whisking immediately and constantly, cooking about 30 seconds. Pour in cream and whisk until thick, 2-4 minutes. Add brick of cream cheese and mix until melted and combined. Pour in wine, ¼ cup at a time, to thin the sauce. Cook another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Add shredded chicken to sauce and mix.
- Warm a medium skillet over medium heat, then add 2 tbsp. butter and melt. Add bread crumbs and grated Parmesan and cook until lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add broccoli and shredded chicken in sauce to greased 9x13-inch pan. Mix all ingredients and make sure broccoli is coated with sauce. Top with browned bread crumb mixture and distribute evenly. Sprinkle additional Parmesan on top of casserole.
- Place pan in oven and cook 25-30 minutes until bread crumbs brown and sides are bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes.