new & improved. [mini gingerbread cupcakes w. maple cream cheese frosting]
I’m still processing that Christmas is in exactly one week. This month, rather, this year, has flown by. It’s been a fantastic one, but I’m ready to see what 2013 has in store.
I went to my boss’ Christmas party this past weekend and was in charge of bringing mini cupcakes. Since I wasn’t completely satisfied with the gingerbread cupcakes I made for a friend’s party last year, I wanted to find a better recipe. This recipe was a definite winner–not a cupcake was left at the party. These little guys are perfect for an on-the-go breakfast or a quick dessert.
Snow at our work Christmas party!
mini gingerbread cupcakes w. maple cream cheese frosting
- Cupcake recipe:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup molasses
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- Maple cream cheese frosting recipe:
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- Dash of salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 - 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place liners in 24 cup mini muffin tin.
- For the cupcakes: In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in water and molasses.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg and allspice; add to the creamed mixture. Beat on low speed until combined. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese, brown sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in maple syrup and vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cupcakes.
Recipe from Taste of Home.