It’s finally Friday!! Even though work has been super busy, this week went by painfully slow. I’m looking forward to the long weekend and plan on indulging in this banana trifle tonight. :-)
banana trifle w. vanilla bean custard, whipped cream, wafers & caramel
Makes enough to fill two small mason jars.
- Custard recipe:
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- ½ cup plus 1 tsp. sugar
- 6 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- Whipped cream recipe:
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream (make sure cream is very cold)
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1-2 splashes vanilla extract
- Caramel recipe:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Trifle recipe:
- 1 banana, sliced
- 24-26 Nilla Wafers
- Custard (recipe above)
- Whipped cream (recipe above)
- Caramel, for drizzling (recipe above)
- For the custard: Pour the milk into a saucepan over medium heat. Scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean into the milk, then add the pods. Meanwhile, in a stainless-steel or other heatproof bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks. Sift the cornstarch into the mixture.
- When the milk comes to a boil, remove from the heat and remove the vanilla bean. Slowly ladle half of the milk into the yolks while whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the saucepan with the remaining milk and, whisking constantly, bring to a rolling boil. Pour into bowl to cool. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
- For the whipped cream: Pour cream into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat cream until soft peaks form. Turn off mixer. Using a fine-mesh sieve, sift 2 tbsp. sugar over cream, then add a couple splashes of vanilla extract; beat until soft peaks return. Do not overbeat.
- For the caramel: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and swirl to combine. Whisk in cream then let mixture bubble and thicken, about 5 minutes; do not stir. Remove from heat, then whisk in vanilla and sea salt. Let cool.
- For assembly: Place 3-4 Nilla Wafers at the bottom of the mason jar. Top cookies with about 1-inch of custard, followed by 1-inch of whipped cream. Place three more Nilla wafers on top of whipped cream, followed by three slices of banana. Repeat process two more times. Place a generous dollop of whipped cream on top of trifle, then add three slices of banana; drizzle with homemade caramel.
Custard recipe from The Hali’imaile General Store Cookbook.