Disregard those New Year’s resolutions–just for one meal. I promise it’ll be worth it. Though this dish is a bit heavier than most meals I cook, it was absolutely delicious. The prominent earthy flavor of the mushrooms in the sauce complimented the slight tartness of the lemon juice. The chicken was even better served atop a bed of brown rice, as the rice soaked up the creamy sauce. I’ll get back to eating healthier next week. :)
Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend ahead. I plan on laying low and staying in LA, after last weekend’s Vegas trip for my dad’s birthday.
Vegas with the family for my dad’s birthday!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded and seasoned with salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. Cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. flour, divided
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg, plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp. parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then add olive oil. Add chicken breasts and cook about 5 minutes on each side, or until fully cooked through. Squeeze juice of half a lemon over chicken and let sit for 1 minute. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Heat a separate large skillet over medium heat, then add butter and let melt. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until onions are translucent and aromatic, about 3-5 minutes. Add 2 tbsp. flour to mixture and quickly stir, to avoid burning. Pour chicken broth into skillet and bring to a boil, to let mixture thicken. Add heavy whipping cream and bring mixture to a simmer. Season with nutmeg, parsley, salt and pepper and juice of the other half of the lemon.
- Continue cooking mixture, about 10 minutes, to let thicken. Add chicken breasts to sauce. Serve chicken and mushroom cream sauce hot, over brown rice or pasta.