HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday. Check out more Halloween-themed cupcakes here–please forgive the photos, that was two years ago!
Snickers peanut butter-filled black velvet cupcakes w. cream cheese frosting
Makes 12 cupcakes
- Cupcake recipe:
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2½ tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. black food coloring
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup, plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ ts. distilled white vinegar
- 6 Snickers peanut butter squares, cut in half
- Cream cheese frosting recipe:
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 oz. (1/2 block) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2½ cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners.
- For the cupcakes: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Turn the mixer to high and add the egg. Scrape down sides of the bowl and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate small bowl, mix cocoa powder, vanilla extract and black food coloring together to make a thick paste. Add to the batter and mix on medium speed until completely combined. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add half of the buttermilk. Add half of the flour and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and repeat the process with the remaining milk and flour. Beat until smooth.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add the salt, baking soda and vinegar. Turn to high and beat for another couple of minutes until completely combined.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners, then place half Snickers peanut butter square in each. Push candy down a bit, but not completely to the bottom. Bake cupcakes about 20 minutes, or until the cakes bounce back at the touch of a finger, or a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pan and place on cooling rack to let cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, whip the butter and cream cheese on high-speed for about 5 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and slowly add the confectioner's sugar until all is incorporated. Add vanilla and mix to combine. Increase speed to medium high and whip for a few minutes, until frosting is light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes.
Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker.